ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A with Howland quarterback John Perry

OhioPreps.com

Sophomore
Staff
Apr 29, 2021
What have you and your team been doing as of late to get ready for the fall?
“As a team, we have been [doing] strength and conditioning 4 days a week. Individually on our own, a handful of us have been going to the park a couple times a week to throw routes and build chemistry. I also rented an indoor facility called “take the field” in Warren Ohio when the weather was bad, so we can throw and run routes to stay fresh in the off season. Also I have been going to QB trainer Jim Ballard on Sundays, and bringing my receivers that are able to go as well.”

What do you feel you have improved on the most since football ended?
“Since football has ended, I believe my overall strength, mainly my arm strength and accuracy has improved the most. I’m growing into my tall body more every day.”

How do you feel your team will do this football season?
“I feel our team will do much better this season than last. Our team has been working hard and staying motivated this off-season. We have some great senior leaders stepping up, and I’m more comfortable in my leadership role as the quarterback, after having the experience of starting as a sophomore.”

What team do you feel will be the toughest competition on your schedule?
“I believe Canfield will be the toughest team we face this year. They always come ready to play.”

Who is the toughest individual player your team will face off against?
“Our team is scheduled to face a lot of tough individual players this year. It is hard to name them all. But the individual players that jump out at me the most are Dru DeShields from West Branch, and Broc Lowry of Canfield. If I had to choose one, no disrespect to the other, I’d have to say Broc Lowry will be the toughest individual our team will face.”

Do you want to play sports in college? If so, which one?
“Yes, I definitely want to play sports in college. Football is definitely my favorite sport, and I will do everything in my power to make that happen. All I want is the chance to compete for a position to play football at the next level. In addition to playing football, I also would consider playing basketball, and running track if it would help my college team win or do better.”

What colleges have been recruiting you?
“Unfortunately I have not been too actively recruited yet. I’ve gotten several colleges to show interest in me on recruiting websites but have yet to say I'm officially being recruited. [I’m] hoping that after the season my team and I have this year (my junior year), they will start rolling in.”

What school is recruiting you the hardest?
“I’d say I’ve had the most interest from Ashland, Oberlin, and possibly Edinboro. But I would not consider recruiting hard YET.”

Have you made any college trips yet?
“I have not made any official college trips yet, but have been checking out the campuses and facilities at several universities when going to the football camps. After focusing on football, and my upcoming junior season, I plan to take some college trips.”

What camps did you attend this summer? How did the camps go overall?
“In the off season I attended several camps this summer trying to improve my game, and to see different college campuses. I went to: 4/3/22 College Coaches Showcase Camp at Otterbein College in Westerville Ohio, 4/23/22 The Top 200 Prospect Camp at Hiram, 6/5/22 The Rising Star camp at Pitt, 6/8/22 All Position Prospect Camp at Youngstown State University, 6/13/22 The Grit Camp at Youngstown State University, 6/17/22 The Akron Prospects Camp, 6/18/22 The Mega Camp at Kent State,
6/25/22 The Elite One-day camp at Bowling Green State University and on 7/9/22 and 7/10/22 The Legit Rare All-American Championship series camp in Canton Ohio at the Hall of Fame Village.

The camps went really well. I learned some new drills to work on. I also got in a lot of reps. But the most beneficial thing I think was getting the chance to compete against some top-tier athletes. Especially in one on ones, and 7 on 7s. The competition was incredible, and I believe it will improve my game going against such great athletes who also aspire to play football at the next level.”

Did you have a favorite college growing up?
“Ohio State has always been my favorite college growing up.”

Reactions: jrodp34
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News